Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Ibrahim Ivan
      Keymaster

A lot of doctors all over the world faces difficulty in getting the required score for IELTS. For me I was dreaded by IELTS writing. My preparation was mainly focused on that.

musycla2
      Participant

I cannot thank you guys enough for these website, I would have never even dared to embark on this journey if it weren’t for your guidance. I just received my IELTS results, and I’m proud to say that I passed with flying colors (9.0 R/L/S and 8.5 W). It’s only the beginning, I know, but it’s a good first step.
      I want to share my methods, but they need to be taken with a grain of salt. I was able to prepare in just over 2 weeks while working full time, but I believe that my proficiency was already good before I started preparing, so really evaluate your English level before you decide how much time to allocate to this part of the process. For this explanation, I will assume that you have already read the corresponding blog post by Dr. Ivan.
      I started by going through The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS, it’s a bit lengthy, but it gave me a thorough understanding of the test and it prepared me for every section, I really wanted to know what to expect. This took me 3 to 4 days.
      After that, I focused on writing. I watched Simon’s Lectures for Task 1 and Task 2, I also liked this video for maps/plans questions (trust me, it’s a life saver). They are very detailed and I suggest you follow his methods word by word, but his examples are a bit discouraging, since there is NO WAY someone can come up with that level of writing in the one hour allotted for this section. On the other hand, the examples provided in the official Cambridge books gave me hope, since I realized that the Band 7 examples were fairly basic and contained many mistakes. After that, I practiced A LOT… I mean, A LOT. I printed the answer sheet (you can find it online) and just completed the writing section of books 11 through 13. Task 1 was a lot harder for me, since what you write has to match objectively with the provided graphs. I didn’t worry about timing at first, since I wanted to learn the technique, but after I started feeling good about the texts I produced, I focused on timing. Things really get better as you practice, but make sure that you mercilessly evaluate your texts, look for errors and for better ways to phrase your sentences. The Cambridge Dictionary is a great resource for definitions, synonims and allocations.

I only prepared for the Speaking section the day before: I do NOT recommend this, I freaked out when I realized that I didn’t know what to talk about for many of the subjects. There is a document on the internet where people compile the speaking questions for all the three parts of the section. Read the questions (since they are repeated verbatim) but do not memorize the answers because they do not reflect normal speaking and because examiners are trained to detect memorized answers, and will start asking different questions to throw you off your game. Try to practice with a partner that can point out your errors and time yourself for part 2, it can seem like an eternity if you are asked about a subject that you’re not familiar with.

I suggest that you start by doing an actual timed test with an official Cambridge book to see if you really need to practice Reading and Listening. They are very easy tests if you are already used to reading books and watching TV shows in English.

I hope that this can be useful and feel free to ask questions about IELTS, I will keep writing about my journey as a way of thanking everyone who has posted useful info about this process on the internet.

zibi
      Participant

I did UKVI IELTS and got R/W/L/S : 8.0/6.5/8.5/8.0 and overall 8.0. Do I have to repeat UKVI IELTS for immigration purpose after PLAB 2? What are the required scores for UKVI IELTS for immigration?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Close Menu